Saturday, April 08, 2006

Sportsapolis© The one sports facility solution.

A few years ago, the Twins where in last place and statistically eliminated from the playoffs by early September. The Minnesota Twins announce plans that they would like to build a temporary stadium in the parking lot of the Mall of America to build support for outdoor baseball. The idea never worked out, but it got me to thinking about the metro dome parking lot. Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Chicago and Pittsburg all built new ball parks in the Parking lot of there current stadiums. Why not here? In Seattle and Chicago; games where played at an alternate locations as there stadiums were rebuild at the same location of there old sports facility. It is a bad idea to abandon the centrally located Metrodome site with it existing access to parking ramps, freeways and public bus and rail transportation.

Back in 8th grade, our science instructor Mr. Miller at Grass Junior High School led the class to the on campus observatory. I remember hearing that this building was donated to the old Sibley High School campus by a local home builder - Rodger Sprealing - to inspire students. Astronomy was not interesting to me, but this building was: a concrete block building with a wood and fiberglass roof that moves sideways under the power of a garage door opener. With the roof repositioned on to a trestle located on the north side of the building; the telescopes inside could be used.

If the Metrodome had a roof that slid sideways off to over the parking? That idea was my spring board to designing a new sports facility. I am not a big sports fan, but over the years, I have done a lot of sketching and dreaming for this new sports facility project.

I was at first very excited to hear about the Stadium Screening Committee and was excited to present my ideas. I went to the Stadium Screening Committee web site and downloaded the application. My excitement ended when I read the Certification and Waiver. It stated “Respondent waives any copyright or any other claim of propriety, right of control, or limitation of use in relation to the information submitted.” I understand that the Stadium Screening Committee was looking for private development and financing ideals and not for innovated design ideas.

To submit my drawings, I would have to sign my rights away for all of my work and dreaming. If I was a land developer, a city, or a team, signing my rights away for my Architect’s drawings would not be possible because the Architect would still retain the copyright. Last November, I sent the attached drawings to the US copyright office and received copyright certificates on April 3, 2006.

The design focus of the Sportsapolis© is to replace the Metrodome on its own site. It would bring all existing Metrodome functions into a new inspiring first class building and be a new source of state and city pride. With an extension on Riverside Ave., the site is about 700 yards from the U of M campus. I believe that the Metrodome is a great money saving building. It is the only public stadium that does not carry a debt but it is not built to last forever. If the sports teams continue to work together, tax dollars could be saved with Sportsapolis©.

No comments: